Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Fog through branches

I knew as soon as I started that first paragraph that I had no idea where this story was going. I picked a name. I picked "them."

It's been two months and I've thought I'd just let Nick and Pete stew in the Adirondacks for a time, let them figure some things out until I pick them up again - if I ever do. Because now I've got at least seven others running through my mind at a fictitious school and they're trying to get a whole lot done and they grab me and say, "Listen! Listen!"

So I typed, printed, and forgot.

"Who wants to start?" the professor asks after everyone has pulled out their copy of my chapter and I've read two pages aloud - wondering why he asked me to read this particular portion, wondering if my spoken voice will provide a better understanding.

Everyone glances at their papers.

"Okay, I'll go first." The professor turns to me. "I don't think this scene could have been written any better than the way you wrote it."

Well, how about that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms. Gallagher, I am so happy that you have decided to share your blog with me. I confess I have become quite enamored of it. Perhaps we should meet after class tomorrow to continue our discussion of this new character you wish to pursue in your next story? The one about the "emotionally delinquent" young man? I await our next meeting with baited breath.

- Your Prof.