Sunday, August 13, 2006

learning to surf on a calm sea

Sunshine in the day and cool, almost-fall-esque nights with the hint of smoke in the air feel so right. Ice cream fits any season.

It's coming, it's coming...it's passed. I leap to my feet and immediately jump off, laughing all the way down. Real waves sweep other shores today. Still, it's pleasant to paddle under the sun, floating on this fiberglass chunk that slowly becomes more familiar. We balance each other. The swells turn natural instead of unsteadying. Bright sun belies a cool breeze. Our teeth chatter. We float on anyway, determined (and tired).

I ponder not life, love, or lack of sleep, but when my next chance will come. Does it count if I really haven't caught a wave? Because I'll gladly try again another day. Summer, you feel so right.

No comments: