Monday, August 01, 2011

Young and true and free

Back around the ages of seventeen/eighteen (and right around when I began this blog), my friend was trying to date this dude. We were talking online and she copied/pasted what he had said to her, which was to the effect of: "I like you, but I want to stay young and true and free, you know?"

Both of us could get the "free" part, but "young and true"?

You'll be glad to know that these youngsters eventually did date and did not seem to age each other beyond repair. But that phrase came to mind last night. I spoke with another friend about careers in writing and the kind of writing that is useful to people, not just to sell magazines/publications. Not changing majors or going to law school, though certainly either option would have been practical.

His response was, "You know what, at least you're true to yourself and what you want to do. Most people never get there."

And that is, well, true. Though I don't always know what to do with myself, I'm pretty clear on who I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And that's why I find you so sparkly, dear. There's this sense of being and contentment being Lady Di. It's something to aspire to.

I feel like Tejas will do me some good. And I shall make my triumph return to the East Coast settled and knowledgeable of all things Flo.

Hopefully.