Sunday, March 30, 2008

cracks

I am on that sidewalk around that corner I'd once thought about so much. Late-afternoon sunlight keeps the cool breeze at bay.

Nearly a year later and I only feel the breeze.

Church bells send deep reverberations and although I am on the other side of the street, I feel closer to something religious than I have in a long while.

I remember the October night that made me write that little piece, "Sidewalk Song," two days after. I look for the crack that sent me bouncing. Here? No, too obvious; it had to be something subtler to unsettle me.

I do not know which one it was. But that night I tripped and then I laughed. You didn't laugh. But you were smiling.

What happened the next day and in scattered late-nights in months afterwards do not matter.

You were happy, you know.

No comments: