Sunday, March 23, 2008

fine instants

Some perfect timing or misfire creates those breathtakingly fine instants -

On dark and winding North Country Road, eyes indifferent to curves and music louder than pulse, something sent that deer across and right around the car - a flash, a perfect arc.

It runs. I drive.

My breathing shakes. But I could not have done a thing - could not have missed it so perfectly.
::
Awkward acquaintances in familiar places -

walk walk head down head down sneak a glance eyes caught -

you here how? Hey hey gone, cheeks flush a bit. I am sorry that I am not more graceful right now.

Something cautions me against the mistakes I could make.
::
About one minute from now, you will be one foot away and I will realize that I have intentionally unarmed myself, that the strength I cultivated all this while rushes my words and shakes my fingers, that I may very well hurt myself more but do not do not want to stand up and step out -

Because I'd only gotten a few feet away when something told me to turn around, told me that I would find what to say.

No comments: