Friday, January 14, 2011

Seamless (Acting Out)

Best line from The Social Network: "I'm six-five, 220 pounds, and there are two of me."

...

Until the girl who plays the assistant at the law firm shows up, I'm buying into the story. Good writing, good acting, nice pace.

But this character's presence feels contrived. The acting is obvious. And now I'm saying, "Ah, she's a device, and she'll plant a zinger at the end to be 'profound.'" Now I remember that this is a movie.

That's how I feel about writing that works too hard to be "writerly." Showing off, making too much of too little.

WWWBYD? (What Would William Butler Yeats Do?)


"A line will take us hours maybe;
yet if it does not seem a moment's thought,
our stitching and unstitching has been naught."

...

Number Thirteen for Thursday the Thirteenth: Wanda Jackson, "Funnel of Love." (Thanks, Boo-sef!)

No comments: