Monday, February 21, 2011

instruments of measurement

I want to be able to describe that sound. The unpeeling from one world to another. The isolation of that single drop.

---

So! What about the writing?

I dabble as ever but it seems that my attentions are best spent on the longterm, hauling it over the miles and back again, and so I return to the page-a-day mantra.

In the world of minor victories, I unraveled the tremendous knot that is the project that interests me most right now. The whole "just go with it" mentality left me with 140 pages of chaos. Despite what the back of my car looks like, I hate the disorganization. It can be a mess, but it has to make mental sense to me.

After slow and infrequent returns since the summer, it turns out a simple solution was all I needed: Take the sections, call them chapters, save each as its own chapter, give them numbers that suggest some sort of order. Fourteen Word docs later, I see the unburied arc. And I see myself finishing this.

---

#50: And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, "Caterwaul"
#51: Led Zeppelin, "Immigrant Song"

1 comment:

Anjelica said...

finish the rewrite on mexico and finish mexico p2 and hit me with them both, lady! you can do this! and sell them!!!